Monday, April 21, 2008

Honesty part 1





So I've decided to start being honest with myself in a few areas and stop beating around the bush. I am a Boston Red Sox fan. There, I said it. I'm tired of feeling guilty about it and feeling disloyal to the Cardinals but it's true.

I went to my first "real" baseball game in 1977 at Fenway Park. I saw Jim Rice hit a homer over the green monster. Yaz played along with Fred Lynn, Dwight Evans, Rick Burleson, and Carlton Fisk. It was awesome.

In 1986 I skipped some classes to watch the ALCS. I loved Wade Boggs. I cried when Boston lost game 7 to the #(!^**#!** NY METS.

I get excited when the Cardinals do well and I still like them. Pujols is a stud. But I'm more passionate about the Sox. They have something that most teams dont: chemistry. These guys are just cool. You can tell they like and respect each other. From Big Papi to Manny to Youkilis. Mike Lowell does the job at 3rd and stayed with the team this year when he could have gotten more coin. Josh Beckett is a stud pitcher who plays in a band. Papelbon does Irish jigs for the crowd before games. Schilling pitched while bleeding. The fans sing "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond after the 7th inning. Dustin Pedroia and Mike Lowell passed out sandwiches to the crowd waiting in line for tickets last year for the playoffs. Would A-ROD do that??? They have character. And Jason Varitek is the captain that quietly keeps them all in line.

So, if your still reading this, there you go. I had to get it off my chest. Most of you could'nt care less. Some will think I'm Benedict Arnold. But they are a blast to watch and it's even better to be there in person.

2 comments:

Bryan Tucker said...

i do follow your logic as this whole looseness culture started with the "idiots" really back when grady little was managing...and kicked to the curb...but with a top 4 payroll you are able to afford to keep a lot of those players in the locker room such as veritek, papelbon, and beckett. with there payroll being 145 mil compared to say the cards at 92 mil i would say you are getting a much better bargain with the cards...plus you have to take into account all the obnoxious bo sox fans, excluding you and rc of course. there are no fans you can compare to the cards fans. the cards are my favorite team and i'm glad to see their young talent performing pretty well this year.

Teri said...

PLEEEAASE update.... I miss you and I'd love to at least enjoy your wit by blog.
PLEASE?